Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Melinda Vs. Daria





I finished reading the first half of Speak a few nights ago. It's very interesting seeing people through Melinda's lens. I'm starting to like a few characters that she describes. I like her classmate, David Petrakis, for standing up for his convictions and his love of learning.  I like  the art teacher, Mr. Freeman, for stirring creative expression in the students and turning his class into  a self-work in progress safe zone. His classroom reminds me of my high school photography class, where one can steadily focus on the artwork in the darkroom and get lost in time and space. Who knew one could find so much in a darkroom? As Marissa had mentioned, I also like how Melinda turned the old janitor room into her musty haven. It's so lovely to find that corner of respite, no matter how cramped, ill lit, or poorly ventilated it may be. Take the childhood fort for example; I used to spend hours in my blanket and chairs fort. 

I forgot how tiring high school could be with its arbitrary social groups and expectations. The Marthas do wear me out; so does Martha Stewart. No matter how beautiful their work seems to be, they seem to rub pretentiousness all over it. You know who Melinda and her description of high school reminds me of right now?! Remember the TV show, Daria from MTV? "The series focuses on Daria Morgendorffer, a smart, acerbic, and somewhat misanthropic teenage girl who observes the world around her."

1 comment:

  1. What a hilarious text to text connection! I wouldn't have even thought about that, but Daria seems to be Melinda-lite in a way.

    ReplyDelete